Almost all brands, new or reputed look forward to listing their products on the e-commerce sites for the huge market and customers it provides. Besides, the popularity that these sites have garnered over time and the delivery facility that e-commerce sites offer is an added bonus. However, apart from all the mandatory documentation and the procedures that undergoes the listing process, there is one important mandate which is the photography of the products for sale. But unlike brand websites and social media platforms, e-commerce sites don’t really encourage product photographs on a colorful or noisy background. What they prefer is Products On White Photography, which helps in reflecting the original color and the details of the products on a clean slate.
Although photographing products has come to become quite popular throughout the years and professionals come up with new and creative ways to take snaps that would motivate customers in buying the product. However, when e-commerce photography is concerned, the most popular sites expect products photographed with a white background. But the real challenge arises even for the best professionals when the assignment is on White On White Photography, it requires certain techniques and working out with the lights to bring out the best of the product through the photographic representation.
Let’s first check out why eCommerce sites advocate white background photography.
- White backgrounds help in popping up the products without any distraction or color noise.
- White helps in maintaining continuity and different colors and styles look appealing in white.
- A white background is best for editing and so offers better results for product photography.
- Moreover, eCommerce sites prefer to keep up with a certain consistency throughout the online store.
Some tips on White photography
The basics for white photography is the requirement of some tools that can be of great help to create the perfect output that is worthy of the eCommerce sites.
- The most important tool is a plain white background, which can be a white wall, a backdrop, or a poster board. It is also recommended that the white background is simple and plain without any textures.
- The use of a light box or light tent helps in producing concentrated soft light that gives a consistent lighting setting without producing too many shadows.
- Try using an elevated surface such as a table or desk as a shooting table for placing the product, this will also help you use natural lights by placing the table near a window.
- Lights are the most important component of photography and so investing in clamp lights and bulbs can be the best decision as you will be provided with an ample amount of light sources.
- A DSLR camera or a smartphone is definitely a must but what is the other important tool is the use of a tripod. The tripod helps in height adjustability, stability, and orientation adjustability.
- And last but not least some photo editing software for the best final results.
Tips on White On White Photography
Photographing a white product on a white background is one of the most intimidating tasks as there is so much to do with the light settings, camera settings, and some editing tricks to get the perfect result.
- The most basic preparation is to set the background in accordance with the light source or the shooting conditions. Also, make sure that your camera settings are taken care of, it is usually recommended to set the ISO to 100 or 200 along with shooting with f/16 for perfect detailing of the product.
- The most important task in White On White Photography is to be able to create the separation between the white product and the background. For this to work, you need to find an elevated surface to place the product and a reflective surface to place under and behind the product. However, it is recommended to place whiteboards all around the product except in the lighting space and try to set the light in a way that the product stands out from the background and a perfect separation is created.
- The key to photographing a white product on a white background is to be able to manipulate the light to give the perfect highlight to the product so that none of the product details fades out. A better option is to avoid direct lighting and opt for indirect lighting that will create shadows that will bring a definition.
- After the capture is successful, the time comes for retouching the image through your editing skills. Post-production is a crucial part of photography and awaits a lot of effort on the part of the editor. Whatever nicks the captured image has in terms of shadows can be corrected in the final editing for a perfectly polished and presentable output.
These guidelines can be greatly helpful for creating perfect product photography for eCommerce sites. As almost all eCommerce sites recommend and prefer Products On White Photography, it is necessary to know the whats and hows of white photography if you are going to take up the challenge. Just know that nothing is impossible and the key to white photography is to work with the light and the perfect background. Make your way to take up the challenge, all the best.